Carefree hand over of Customs documentation

There is a number of advantages to having an external party handle your customs documents for you. Not only do you reduce your (fiscal) risk, but it also saves you a lot of time. Our experts know their way around the complex laws and by-laws in the world of import and export and can provide you with the right information at the right moment so that your shipment is handled in a timely manner.

Different types of Customs handling

When importing or exporting cargo, you may face different types of possible Customs documents and handlings. The type of document you require depends on a number of factors. For example, you need to take in to account the country of origin, the destination, commodity, etc. Embassy Freight can help you with the following documents and acts of support;

  • EX-A export document
    This document is mandatory for all cargo being shipped from the EU to a non-EU destination.
  • Import declaration (IM-A Importdocument)
    This document is a requirement when import goods into the EU, from a county outside the EU. The document serves as proof that the cargo has been imported and you have paid the import duties and taxes. From that moment on, the goods are labeled as being “free goods”.
  • T1 document
    The “T” refers to Transit. This is a document, which is used when cargo has not yet been customs cleared, but need to be moved. The receiving party needs to be the holder of a T1 license in order to take receipt of the goods.
  • Requesting an import license
    For the import of certain specific goods, you may require an import license. For example, for the import of certain types of steel and aluminium, you require a surveillance form. Requesting this from is also a service we can provide for you.
  • Request for reimbursement of customs duties
    This allows you to request reimbursement of duties, which have already been paid. This can, for instance, be applied to cargo, which was initially imported and cleared, but is being re-exported due to damage or product malfunction.
  • Direct representation
    For companies based in the Netherlands looking to import cargo, we can act as direct representative. In order to arrange this, all we require is authorisation from the Dutch party.
  • Limited Fiscal representation
    If your company is not based in the Netherlands but elsewhere within the EU, and you are importing through Rotterdam port or Amsterdam airport, your goods can be cleared under limited fiscal representation. Conditions are that we are authorized and handle the delivery of your goods.
  • Requesting a BTI
    To have complete clarity on what import duties you have to pay upon import, customs can issue a “Binding Tariff Indication” or BTI for a specific product. Such a BTI would be applied throughout the entire EU and it helps you reduce any risk to a minimum when calculating your purchase price.
  • Origin documents, such as:
    • Certificate of Origin
      This certificate is specifically issued to prove that a commodity was produced in a certain country. A copy of this document will not suffice; you must have the original document.
    • ATR
      This document serves to prove that a product was produced in Turkey. With this document, you will also need the original.
    • EUR 1 & Form-A

These documents are issued to prove that goods were shipped from a specific origin country. You will again need the original document and like the CoO and ATR, these documents too can influence the amount you pay in import duties.

The Eur-1 and Form-A are gradually being replaced by the so named REX system.
The REX (Registered Exporter) System is set up in such a way that the exporting party can issue proof of origin of their own cargo. After registering with their local customs, the exporting party is issued with a REX identification number.  Subsequently, they can issue a declaration of origin, usually by way of a declaration on the commercial invoice.

Based on the REX identification number we can check for you whether your supplier is a Registered Exporter.

Determine the correct HS-code

When you trade internationally, whether you are importing or exporting, it is your responsibility to provide a HS code. HS code stands for Harmonized System code, which is a system used worldwide to classify your commodity.  In order for us to process your request as efficiently as possible, please provide us with your HS code, so that our sales team can find you the best modality and give you correct advice on which documents you require.  If you are unable to find the HS code or such information yourself, please do reach out as well. We well may be able to help guide you.

Personal Advice?

Would you like to speak with our in-house customs expert? Visit our contact page on our website, or write to us at . We are happy to help.


As we are not solely a customs broker, the above services can only be provided in combination with the handling of your shipment.